School navigation

Human Resources

Student Employment for Law Students

Students attending Lewis & Clark Law School have a variety of student employment options available to them. Some students work in the Boley Law Library, others work at selected off-campus agencies, while others pursue more general part-time work in the community.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study is a need-based federal financial aid program. Only students who demonstrate financial need based on the information submitted on their annual Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are eligible to be awarded funding through the FWS program.

Federal Work-Study jobs are available for Lewis & Clark law students, but generally not until they have completed their first year of law school. These jobs are posted by the Career & Professional Development Center and are available on a competitive basis through an interview selection process. You may work a maximum of 40 hours per week during the summer and up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.

  • Before interviewing with an employer you should file a FAFSA for the relevant year.  After filing the FAFSA, you will receive notification from the Office of Financial Aid if you are likely to be eligible for a FWS award. Summer is the first semester of the new academic year at Lewis & Clark. Please be aware that a FWS award will replace loan eligibility on a dollar-for-dollar basis. Earning income through the FWS program can be a good way to reduce the total amount you need to borrow.
  • Once you have been offered a FWS job, contact the Career & Professional Development Center (CPDC).  If you have already filed the FAFSA and received notification of likely eligibility, you will be given access to submit a Federal Work-Study Request Form.  Your request will be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid. If your eligibility is confirmed, there will be a short paragraph at the bottom of your initial or revised award letter notifying you of your FWS award amount. This is your earning limit. You must have a W-4 and an I-9 form on file with the college before you begin working.

You are responsible for tracking your total earnings under the FWS program to ensure you don’t exceed your award amount. It is important that you are mindful of the remaining balance on your FWS award because the FWS partner agency will be billed for one hundred percent of any wages that exceed your earning limit.  You can view your FWS award balance as of the last pay period in our payroll and time tracking system, Workday.


Career & Professional Development Center

In addition to posting information about FWS positions available to law students, the CPDC can assist you in locating law clerkships in Portland and other metropolitan areas. The CPDC is also your best source of information about pro-bono experience, PILP stipends for summer work, and externships.

Human Resources

Contact Us

  • 72

    Human Resources is located in Lower McAfee on the Undergraduate Campus.


    voice 503-768-6235 fax 503-768-6233

    Associate Vice President of Human ResourcesHeyke Kirkendall-Baker

    Human Resources

    • Human Resources Lewis & Clark 615 S. Palatine Hill Road
      MSC 72 Portland OR 97219