Weekly Wellness - How do I use my vision benefit?
September 14, 2018
First, learn about what your vision covers:
All of our medical plans have vision coverage automatically included in enrollment. You can get an overview of our plan comparisons by looking at the second page of the Medical Plan Comparison. You can find more detailed vision coverage outlined on the Summary Plan Description for your plan:
- Kaiser HMO: Summary Plan Description
- Kaiser Added Choice: Summary Plan Description
- PEHT Regence: Summary Plan Description (vision benefits start on page 9)
Now that you understand your vision coverage, the next step is to get your eyesight evaluated:
To get your eyes checked, you need to see an Optician. To find an optometrist in your plan’s network, follow these links and steps:
- Kaiser HMO: Use the Find Doctors and Locations online tool by searching in Oregon/Washington for ‘optometry’ or call customer service at 800-813-2000. Our HMO group number 1495-001.
- Kaiser Added Choice: You can always use the HMO provider search listed above. If you want to find someone outside of the HMO network, you can either Search the First Choice Network by entering ‘Optometry’ in the box on the right marked ‘Specialty’ or you can contact Bonnie and Clydie from our concierge department at email@example.com or 503.813.1299.
- PEHT Regence: Your vision is covered by VSP. For provider or benefit
questions call VSP at (844) 299-3041 and be prepared to share our group number 60026055.
Once you have your prescription, it is time to pick out some awesome glasses:
Optometrists sometimes sell glasses at their office. When making your appointment, ask if your insurance covers the glasses they sell on location.
- Kaiser HMO: Easy! Glasses are sold where you have your eyes checked so you can pick out your glasses at the same time.
- Kaiser Added Choice: Search the First Choice Network by choosing “Lewis and Clark College - G0035861 - PacificSource Health Plans” and entering ‘Optical Hardware Center’ in the box on the right marked ‘Specialty’ or you can contact Bonnie and Clydie from our concierge department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.813.1299.
- PEHT Regence: Check with your optometrist, or call Regence to find an optical service center 866-240-9580, and maybe check out this post on the VSP Blog for some tips.
I like to get my glasses at Costco. What is the coverage there?
- Kaiser HMO: no coverage at Costco
- Kaiser Added Choice: no coverage at Costco
- PEHT Regence: Costco is an “affiliate” provider within the VSP network, meaning they have coverage but it is reduced. There is an annual $250 frame/contact lens allowance at VSP providers, but there is a $135 allowance at Costco.
Can I use my Flexible Spending Account on glasses?
Yes! If you are enrolled in a Healthcare Spending Account, you can submit your receipts for out of pocket costs for glasses and copays for eye exams. You can even use your FSA debit card to purchase reading glasses and contact lens solutions at the FSA Store, where all purchases are pre approved and no documentation is required to submit for proof.
Where can I get glasses for cheap?
Shop glasses, enter your prescription, and order online at Zenni Optical for affordable glasses (lots of options for kids, too!).
- - -
Be the first to hear the news! Employees and their family members can click here to receive the Weekly Wellness newsletter by email.