September 11, 2020
L&C Google Hangouts to be Replaced by Google Chat Oct. 1
What you need to know:
- The new Chat experience will replace the classic Hangouts experience in Gmail. Chat will be Lewis & Clark’s default messaging application in G Suite.
- Google Hangouts is being replaced by Google Chat. Your Google Hangouts mobile app will no longer work and messaging will now take place through Chat, not Hangouts. Hangouts is being shut down by Google in “late 2020.”
- You will no longer need to switch tabs between Google Chat, Mail, and Hangouts (you will no longer need to go to chat.google.com to see your chats).
- You will be able to chat with people outside of the Lewis & Clark domain through direct messages or through rooms.
- For more information about Google Chat, including how it’s used, see this Google Chat Quick Reference Guide.
- Your gmail window will now provide an integrated communications platform, where you will see Mail, Chat, Rooms, and Meet. Read more about the integrated communication experience here.
What you need to do:
- Download the new Google Chat app for your mobile device iOS | Android. Once you download the app, make sure you turn on notifications by clicking on the Main Menu (three straight lines located in the upper left corner) then Settings and select Mobile Notifications and adjust appropriately.
If you prefer to use a desktop app instead of a mobile app, the new Google Chat application is now available for download. See instructions to download the application here.